Zoë Buckman (b. 1985 Hackney, East London) is a multi-disciplinary artist working in sculpture, installation, and photography, exploring themes of Feminism, mortality, and equality.
Buckman’s work has been shown in solo exhibitions including Imprison Her Soft Hand at Project for Empty Space, Newark, Every Curve at PAPILLION ART, Los Angeles and Present Life at Garis & Hahn Gallery, New York.
Her work is currently being shown at NYU Tisch, in Italy, and at the Tarble Arts Center. Buckman has upcoming exhibitions at Unit London and Kasia Kay.
Notable group exhibitions include:
- In the Eye of the Beholder, Eastern Illinois University Tarble Arts Center, Charleston, IL
- Cit.i.zen.ship: Reflections on Rights, Photography & Imaging Galleries, NYU Tisch School of the Arts, New York, NY
- Give us the Vote, ArtsWestchester Gallery, White Plains, NY
- Re-Imagining a Safe Space, Gulf + Western Gallery, NYU Tisch School of the Arts, New York, NY
- Inside/Outside Voices, Winston Wätcher Gallery, New York, NY
- Regarding Women in the Acton Collection, NYU Florence Villa La Pietra, Florence, Italy
- The Curator’s Eggs, Paul Kasmin, New York, NY
- Flaming June VII (Flaming Creatures), GAVLAK, Los Angeles, CA
- March Madness, Fort Ganesvoort, New York, NY
- The HeLa Project, HBO; 465 W. Broadway, Soho, NY; National Center for Civil and Human Rights, Atlanta, GA; National Museum of African-American History & Culture, Washington, DC
- Re-Imagining a Safe Space, Nathan Cummings Foundation, New York, NY
- TRANSPARENCY SHADE, Projects+Gallery, St. Louis, MO
- Harlem Postcards Fall/Winter 2016-2017, The Studio Museum in Harlem, New York, NY
- off the wall, Monique Meloche, Chicago, IL
- Framing Beauty, curated by Deborah Willis, Grunwald Art Gallery, Indiana University, IN
- For Freedoms, Jack Shainman Gallery, New York, NY
- Truth to Power, the Democratic National Convention, Philadelphia, PA
- Making and Unmaking, curated by Duro Olowu, Camden Arts Centre, London, UK
- Game On!, the Children’s Museum of the Arts, New York, NY
- To Be Young, Gifted, and Black, Goodman Gallery, Johannesburg, ZA
- New Abstraction, Leila Heller Gallery, New York, NY
Buckman was a featured artist at Pulse Projects New York 2014 and Miami 2016, and was included in the curated Soundscape Park at Art Basel Miami Beach 2016. The artist completed an artist residency at Mana Contemporary. Public works include a mural, We Hold These Truths To Be Self-Evident, in collaboration with Natalie Frank at the Ford Foundation Live Gallery of New York Live Arts in the neighborhood of Chelsea, New York.
Buckman studied at the International Center of Photography (ICP) and lives and works in New York.